Sunday, October 25, 2009

Crossing Paths

People say that most of the time you are friends with people similar to yourself. Similar interests. Similar personalities. Similar lifestyles. Similar in one way or another. I believe it! Unfortunately, if 8 women get together that live in the same area with similar interests and decide to start online dating then paths are bound to cross at some point. Since the beginning of October, I have gotten matched up with several of the same guys that my other friends on eHarmony have gotten matched up with including one guy that Must Love Teens and Beans has been on several dates with. (Speaking of that, Must Love Teens and Beans, where are your posts?) Well this weekend, we took crossing paths to a whole new level. Must Love Art and Music was matched with the last guy I dated. I received a text message from her on Friday morning that said "I just got matched up with ______" and my heart sank a little. Questions flooded my mind: Was he single again? Did he know that he was getting matched up with people on eHarmony still? Would he try to "communicate" with her? Must Love Art and Music closed him right away because that's the unspoken rule between women. You don't even consider talking to a guy that your friend used to date. Curiousity over took me though and I emailed him instantly. The guy and I met on eHarmony the last time I was trying online dating sites and dated for a few months, then I called it off. Then I found out at the end of the summer that he was dating someone else now and we haven't talked since then. I thought I would break the silence with an email with the motive being to inform him that he is still getting matched up with women on eHarmony and the drive being my curiosity.

The email went something like this:
"Hi ______.

So I got this funny text from one of my best friends this morning. She said "I got matched up with _______!" She's doing eHarmony and apparently got matched up with you this morning. If you have a girlfriend, maybe you should delete your profile. :) Anyways, I thought I would let you know since sometimes people don't realize that even if you aren't paying for eHarmony that your profile still shows up.

I hope you are doing well and school isn't completely kicking your ass this semester!"

The email I received back was nice, filled with grammar errors and questions about my life, and confirming. When my heart sank and I emailed him immediately, I questioned whether or not I did the right thing by calling things off back in the Spring. Did I still have feelings for him? Why was I feeling like this? The answers: No, I don't have feelings for him. I was feeling like that because I'm lonely and when I was with him I wasn't lonely. When I was with him, there was someone who took interest in my life, complimented me, and made me feel desirable. Selfishly, I want all of that again. I don't want it with him, but I want it with someone. Who is that someone? Will I meet him in the next few months? eHarmony isn't giving me much promise of even a date in the next couple of months at this point, so we'll see. In the meantime, I need to decide if I'm going to answer all of his questions and write him back or go back to the silence.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I'm due for an update I know...and funny that we got matched with the same guy, but not surprised because many of us are alike.

    I was matched with the same guy and one of the girls and her date didn't turn out well, so I deleted him before we were in open communication. Is that bad?! ha I just figured if she said no, its probably a no for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have broken up with a guy, consider things over and done with-- there are many 'qualified' men out there; even if it doesn't seem like it now. You want to be THE pursued-- right? not the pursuer. Also as far as eharmony goes, I've known people who didn't meet anyone on there for months and months- because the guy wasn't initiating and/or they didn't seem like a good match. In the end, it doesn't matter how many dates with how many guys you've had- the goal is for a lifemate, not a bunch of filled weekends, right? Don't lose heart. That said, sometimes someone on paper may not seem like the best fit who ends up blending with your personality wonderfully in person- so try to keep an open mind. Also, I understand the rule of ex's being hands-off to friends, but what if they would honestly be great for each other? It's hard to imagine having been in a relationship with them yourself, but....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE THIS POST! And you! I think all women are guilty of being tempted to forsake what is RIGHT for what is RIGHT NOW. Lets hang out and let our paths cross until the right guys come to sweep us off our feet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having met this guy, I stand by my original position: he's not the one for you. Someone much more amazing, upfront, and honest will come along for you. It's true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The SPOKEN rule is that ou don't even consider talking to a guy that your friend used to date. What is unspken is how often that rule is broken.

    What may be good for one is not good for another, so for this experiment, I would forget about that rule since it is broken anyway.

    ReplyDelete