Sunday, October 11, 2009

am I reading too much into this...

Analyze, re-analyze, over-analyze...is this really the method we (and by "we", I kinda mean "I") should be using to meet someone?

I already have a tendency to think too much about decisions and choices, but when "meeting people" online, there are plenty of acceptable opportunities for me to think, think some more, analyze, and then over-analyze before I act. I mean, should a first impression really be so methodically thought out and edited? because that's what has happened on my profile! When asked some of those first "get to know you questions," is it good that I can take days to answer them?! and, should I have even longer to ask those simple questions back?

And then I start thinking about the guy...did they analyze their answers as much as me? their pictures? their questions? Is my first impression of them just as purposefully crafted and arranged?

what a different way of socializing.

I spend so much time and thought trying to come up with the answer or description that honestly portrays who I am, that I think I might end up being a little misleading. Oops.

So, am I reading too much into all of this? Is this what everyone does on the online dating sites?

4 comments:

  1. I totally do as well- you're not alone! I think it's in our nature to over-analyze everything- it's just part of being a girl I think :) Anyone else got an opinion about this?? Or did we just open up a can??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I dislike this extra time on the computer. I'm already on this gidget *WAY* too much, so for me, if I cant answer a question in 10 minutes (for the short answer paragraph ones), I put it away until later, so I wont over analyze. I think its whatever you prefer, your own personal style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is important to be yourself, but doing things online limits your exposure so you want to get it right the first time. What I mean is, spend some time wording things as you want it so it is clear the first time, but if you find yourself over-analyzing and trying to be perfect, then you are probably trying too hard and will end up posting as someone you are not. Write as you would talk- let your personality show through what you say. Imagine the guy as the same. But keep in mind most guys are not that great at communicating and could use a little guidance...as in specific questions for clarification haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well just remember this is an experiment and an opportunity to make a date for a rather cool New Years Eve. I mean it IS going to be the last single digits of the 2000's. An entry into a new decade...perhap a new decade of love. Don't think! ACT! Time is ticking!

    ReplyDelete