Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Possibility

So, I went on my first date of this experience on Friday. As you may remember, my first meeting was only after I won a bet, so that doesn't count. I had only talked with my date a couple times over Match. We hadn't really talked of much when he asked to meet me. I was a little apprehensive, but agreed. He came to pick me up, and I was glad to see that he was dressed casually. I had a fear that I would be under-dressed, but it worked out. He picked me up at my house, which is another slightly nerve wracking decision. What if this guy turns out to be a complete whack job who now knows where I sleep... but I was happy to be wrong.
We went for dinner. He let me pick the place since he doesn't live in Boulder. We went to a place what I like, but don't frequent too terribly often. There were LOTS of people as I opened the door, and to my shock and awe our biggest fan was just inside the door!!
I kinda felt outed, busted, by the fact that someone else was privy to my goal, recognized that I was on a first date and about the fact that we had met over the internet.... luckily my date went to put our names on the waiting list, so we were able to say hi and confirm that this in fact was a first date, and that he is someone I met online.
It took a while to get seated, but we talked of travel and family and cities we'd lived in.
We were seated and had a great meal, good conversation and before we knew it 3 hours and a bottle of wine had gone by!
SIDE NOTE: During dinner, feeling brave, I let PART of the cat out of the bag as far as Must Love Us... I told him that a bunch of girls and I had all started online dating at the same time to see if we could get New Years' dates. He let me know that he couldn't be my New Years' date since he had already made plans to go out of town.

So, my date went well. I definitely see potential for friendship here, and I am gonna wait to make a decision on anything else. We made tentative plans to hang out again. I am happy to have made a connection.

3 comments:

  1. please don't take this as a lecture: but why the hell are you giving a stranger your home address and getting in a car with him?!

    he should earn that trust over time. super scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh running into the biggest fan. That is trouble. But you sound like you handled it all very gracefully, so props to you;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with anonymous. It could be very dangerous to get into a car with a stranger (and also for him to know where you live). But, I'm glad it all worked out okay.

    ReplyDelete